The Mountains and The People is unique 5 year landscape scale project. It is the flagship project of the Outdoor Access Trust for Scotland, supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and in partnership with Scotland’s two National Park Authorities, Cairngorms and Loch Lomond & the Trossachs, Forestry and Land Scotland and Scottish Natural Heritage.
To involve the people of Scotland, and beyond, in the enhancement and protection of the wild and special qualities of the mountains within Scotland’s National Parks
To achieve our vision the project will deliver a wide range of both physical improvements on the ground as well as opportunities for people to get involved conserving and learn about the mountains within Scotland’s National Parks. All activities will deliver under the following objectives:
To RESPECT the natural heritage of our mountain landscapes
- Public engagement through Ranger led events, film production and interpretation;
- Awareness raising through sporting events and media activities;
- Next Step guided walks introducing people to the benefits of accessing our mountains;
To RESKILL the conservation workforce of tomorrow
- 36 Environmental Conservation SVQ training opportunities;
- Supporting roll out of the Rural Skills Apprenticeships;
- Producing educational resources and providing teacher training;
To REPAIR damage to our nations fragile upland landscapes
- Capital investment in 125km of path repair and maintenance;
- 1200 days of Conservation volunteering opportunities for people of all abilities
- Adopt A Path, path maintenance, monitoring and reporting.